Latest GB Voting Intention (8 January 2023)

January 9, 2023
R&WS Research Team
Approval Rating | Conservative Party | GB Politics | Jeremy Hunt | Keir Starmer | Labour Party | Rishi Sunak | UK Elections | Voting Intention

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research

Redfield & Wilton Strategies’ latest voting intention poll in Great Britain finds the Labour Party leading by 22%, two points more than in our most recent poll released on Tuesday last week. Altogether, the full numbers (with the changes from 2-3 January in parentheses) are as follows:

Labour 48% (+1)
Conservative 26% (-1)
Liberal Democrat 9% (-3)
Reform UK 6% (+1)
Green 5% (+2)
Scottish National Party 4% (–)
Other 2% (+1)

When those who say they do not know how they would vote in a General Election are included, the Labour Party leads by 19%. After weighting by likelihood to vote, 15% of the sample say they do not know how they would vote, including 17% of those who voted Conservative in December 2019 and 5% of those who voted Labour. 

Altogether, 87% of those who voted Labour in the last General Election say they would vote Labour again, while 53% of those who voted Conservative in 2019 say they would vote Conservative again.

65% of British voters cite the economy as one of the three most important issues that would determine how they would vote in a General Election, just ahead of healthcare (64%). Respondents also select immigration (28%), and education (25%).

A plurality (38%) of respondents believe a Labour Party majority would be the most likely outcome if a General Election were held in the next six months. A further 13% expect a Labour-led minority Government. Just 15% expect a Conservative Party majority, while another 12% expect a Conservative-led minority Government. 

The Government’s net competency rating stands at -32% this week, down five points from Monday last week. Altogether, 17% find the Government competent (-1), and 49% find the Government incompetent (+4).

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak receives a net approval rating of -11%, his lowest approval rating since becoming Prime Minister. Yesterday’s poll finds 28% approving of his overall job performance (+1) against 39% (+8) disapproving. 

Labour leader Keir Starmer’s net approval rating stands at +6%, down four points from last week. 34% approve of Starmer’s job performance (-2), while 28% disapprove (+2). Starmer last held a negative net approval rating on 7 September.

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt’s net approval rating stands at -13%, down four points since Monday last week. Overall, 36% disapprove of Hunt’s performance as Chancellor (+3), and 23% approve (-1). 

And finally, Keir Starmer (38%, +2) leads Rishi Sunak (37%, -1) by one point on who would be the better Prime Minister at this moment, having trailed Sunak by two points last week.

To find out more information about this research contact our research team. Redfield & Wilton Strategies is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. Follow us on Twitter

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research