Latest GB Voting Intention (5 May 2024)

May 6, 2024
R&WS Research Team
Approval Rating | Conservative Party | GB Politics | Keir Starmer | Labour Party | Rishi Sunak | UK Elections | Voting Intention

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research

Redfield & Wilton Strategies’ latest national Westminster voting intention poll, our first since last week’s local elections, finds the Labour Party leading by 23%, unchanged from our previous poll released on Monday last week

Altogether, the full numbers (with changes from 28 April in parenthesis) are as follows:

Labour 44% (-1)
Conservative 21% (-1)
Reform UK 15% (+1)
Liberal Democrat 9% (–)
Green 5% (-1)
Scottish National Party 3% (–)
Other 1% (-1)

When those who say they do not know how they would vote in a General Election are included, the Labour Party leads by 21%. After weighting by likelihood to vote, 8% of the sample say they do not know how they would vote, including 10% of those who voted Conservative in December 2019 and 2% of those who voted Labour. 

Altogether, 86% of those who voted Labour in the last General Election say they would vote Labour again.

Only 44% of those who voted Conservative in 2019 say they would vote Conservative again. 22% of 2019 Conservative voters now say they would vote for Reform UK, 19% would vote for Labour, and 6% would vote for other parties.

63% of respondents believe a Labour Party government will be the result of the next General Election, the highest figure ever in our polling on this question. Only 21%, meanwhile, believe there will be a Conservative Party government, the joint-lowest figure ever in our polling to predict that outcome.

The Government’s net competency rating stands at -39% (-11) this week. Altogether, 16% (-4) find the Government competent, while 55% (+7) find the Government incompetent.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak receives a net approval rating of -23%, down three points from last week’s poll. This week’s poll finds 28% approving of his overall job performance (+2) against 51% (+5) disapproving.

Labour leader Keir Starmer’s net approval rating stands at +9%, up three points from last week. 39% approve of Starmer’s job performance (+3), while 30% disapprove (–).

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt’s net approval rating stands at -13%, down five points from our previous poll. Overall, 36% disapprove of Hunt’s performance as Chancellor (+3) and 23% approve (-2).

And finally, Keir Starmer (43%, +1) leads Rishi Sunak (29%, +1) by 14 points on who would be the better Prime Minister at this moment.

To find out more information about this research contact our research team. Redfield & Wilton Strategies is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. Follow us on Twitter

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research