Latest GB Voting Intention (29 January 2023)

January 30, 2023
R&WS Research Team
Approval Rating | Conservative Party | GB Politics | Jeremy Hunt | Keir Starmer | Labour Party | Rishi Sunak | UK Elections | Voting Intention

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research

Redfield & Wilton Strategies’ latest voting intention poll in Great Britain finds the Labour Party leading by 21%, one point less than in our most recent poll released on Monday last week. Altogether, the full numbers (with the changes from 22 January in parentheses) are as follows:

Labour 49% (+1)
Conservative 28% (+2)
Liberal Democrat 8% (-1)
Reform UK 5% (-1)
Green 5% (+1)
Scottish National Party 4% (-1)
Other 1% (–)

When those who say they do not know how they would vote in a General Election are included, the Labour Party leads by 19%. After weighting by likelihood to vote, 13% of the sample say they do not know how they would vote, including 14% of those who voted Conservative in December 2019 and 4% of those who voted Labour. 

Altogether, 88% of those who voted Labour in the last General Election say they would vote Labour again, while 52% of those who voted Conservative in 2019 say they would vote Conservative again.

66% of British voters cite the economy as one of the three most important issues that would determine how they would vote in a General Election, ahead of healthcare (61%). Respondents also select immigration (27%), education (24%), and the environment (22%).

A plurality (41%) of respondents believe a Labour Party majority would be the most likely outcome if a General Election were held in the next six months. A further 14% expect a Labour-led minority Government. Just 15% expect a Conservative Party majority, while another 11% expect a Conservative-led minority Government. 

The Government’s net competency rating stands at -33% this week, up one point from last Sunday. Altogether, 16% find the Government competent (–), and 49% find the Government incompetent (-1).

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak receives a net approval rating of -18%, down three points from our poll last Sunday, and the lowest approval rating he has recorded since becoming Prime Minister in October. Yesterday’s poll finds 26% approving of his overall job performance (+1) against 44% (+4) disapproving. 

Labour leader Keir Starmer’s net approval rating stands at +9%, up two points from last week. 37% approve of Starmer’s job performance (+5), while 28% disapprove (+3).

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt’s net approval rating stands at -13%, up two points since last Sunday. Overall, 36% disapprove of Hunt’s performance as Chancellor (+2), and 23% approve (+4). 

And finally, Keir Starmer (41%, +1) leads Rishi Sunak (35%, –) by six points on who would be the better Prime Minister at this moment.

To find out more information about this research contact our research team. Redfield & Wilton Strategies is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. Follow us on Twitter

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research