Latest GB Voting Intention (26 February 2023)

February 27, 2023
R&WS Research Team
Approval Rating | Conservative Party | GB Politics | Keir Starmer | Labour Party | Rishi Sunak | UK Elections | Voting Intention

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research

Redfield & Wilton Strategies’ latest voting intention poll in Great Britain finds the Labour Party leading by 27%, unchanged from our most recent poll released on Monday last week, and the joint-largest lead Labour has held over the Conservatives since Rishi Sunak became Prime Minister. Altogether, the full numbers (with the changes from 18 February in parentheses) are as follows:

Labour 51% (–)
Conservative 24% (–)
Liberal Democrat 9% (-1)
Reform UK 7% (+1)
Green 5% (–)
Scottish National Party 3% (–)
Other 1% (–)

When those who say they do not know how they would vote in a General Election are included, the Labour Party leads by 22%. After weighting by likelihood to vote, 14% of the sample say they do not know how they would vote, including 17% of those who voted Conservative in December 2019 and 4% of those who voted Labour. 

Altogether, 88% of those who voted Labour in the last General Election say they would vote Labour again, while only 48% of those who voted Conservative in 2019 say they would vote Conservative again.

63% of British voters cite the economy as one of the three most important issues that would determine how they would vote in a General Election, ahead of healthcare (60%). Respondents also select education (26%), immigration (26%), and the environment (19%).

A plurality (41%) of respondents believe a Labour Party majority would be the most likely outcome if a General Election were held in the next six months. A further 10% expect a Labour-led minority Government. Just 14% expect a Conservative Party majority, while another 11% expect a Conservative-led minority Government. 

The Government’s net competency rating stands at -34% this week, up four points from last Saturday. Altogether, 16% find the Government competent (+1), and 50% find the Government incompetent (-3). More of those who voted Conservative in 2019 find the Government to be incompetent (37%) than competent (29%).

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak receives a net approval rating of -17%, up five points from our poll last Saturday. Yesterday’s poll finds 25% approving of his overall job performance (+1) against 42% (-4) disapproving. 

Labour leader Keir Starmer’s net approval rating stands at +13%, up one point from last week. 37% approve of Starmer’s job performance (-1), while 24% disapprove (-2).

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt’s net approval rating stands at -16%, up one point since last Saturday. Overall, 35% disapprove of Hunt’s performance as Chancellor (-1), and 19% approve (–). 

And finally, Keir Starmer (41%, –) leads Rishi Sunak (32%, –) by nine points on who would be the better Prime Minister at this moment, the joint-largest lead he has held over Sunak since Sunak became Prime Minister in October.

To find out more information about this research contact our research team. Redfield & Wilton Strategies is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. Follow us on Twitter

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research