Latest GB Voting Intention (23 April 2023)

April 24, 2023
R&WS Research Team
Approval Rating | Conservative Party | GB Politics | Keir Starmer | Labour Party | Rishi Sunak | UK Elections | Voting Intention

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research

Redfield & Wilton Strategies’ latest voting intention poll in Great Britain finds the Labour Party leading by 15%, three points more than in our previous poll released on Monday last week. Altogether, the full numbers (with the changes from 9 April in parentheses) are as follows:

Labour 44% (–)
Conservative 29% (-3)
Liberal Democrat 11% (+1)
Reform UK 6% (+2)
Green 5% (+1)
Scottish National Party 3% (-1)
Other 1% (–)

When those who say they do not know how they would vote in a General Election are included, the Labour Party leads by 13%. After weighting by likelihood to vote, 16% of the sample say they do not know how they would vote, including 16% of those who voted Conservative in December 2019 and 6% of those who voted Labour. 

Altogether, 84% of those who voted Labour in the last General Election say they would vote Labour again, while 55% of those who voted Conservative in 2019 say they would vote Conservative again.

60% of British voters cite the economy as one of the three most important issues that would determine how they would vote in a General Election, ahead of healthcare (59%). Respondents also select immigration (29%), education (26%), housing (20%), and taxation (18%).

34% of respondents believe a Labour Party majority would be the most likely outcome if a General Election were held in the next six months. A further 12% expect a Labour-led minority Government. 17% expect a Conservative Party majority, while another 12% expect a Conservative-led minority Government. 

The Government’s net competency rating stands at -31% this week, seven points down from last Sunday. Altogether, 18% find the Government competent (-3), and 49% find the Government incompetent (+4).

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak receives a net approval rating of -6%, up one point from our poll last Sunday, and the highest net approval rating he has held since 3 January. Yesterday’s poll finds 33% approving of his overall job performance (+2) against 39% (+1) disapproving. 

Labour leader Keir Starmer’s net approval rating stands at +5%, down one point from last week. 34% approve of Starmer’s job performance (-1), while 29% disapprove (–).

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt’s net approval rating stands at -8%, up two points since last Sunday. Overall, 32% disapprove of Hunt’s performance as Chancellor (-3), and 24% approve (-1). 

And finally, Keir Starmer (38%, +1) leads Rishi Sunak (34%, -2) by four points on who would be the better Prime Minister at this moment.

To find out more information about this research contact our research team. Redfield & Wilton Strategies is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. Follow us on Twitter

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research