Latest GB Voting Intention (21 April 2024)

April 22, 2024
R&WS Research Team
Approval Rating | Conservative Party | GB Politics | Keir Starmer | Labour Party | Rishi Sunak | UK Elections | Voting Intention

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research

Redfield & Wilton Strategies’ latest national Westminster voting intention poll finds the Labour Party leading by 23%, one point more than in our previous poll released on Monday last week

The Conservatives’ vote share in this poll (20%) is their lowest ever in our polling since Rishi Sunak became Prime Minister. The party previously reached 20% in our polling on 16 October 2022, the Sunday after Liz Truss sacked Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng. Only once in this parliament have the Conservatives recorded a lower vote share: 19% on 19 October 2022, the day before Liz Truss announced her resignation.

Altogether, the full numbers (with changes from 14 April in parenthesis) are as follows:

Labour 43% (-1)
Conservative 20% (-2)
Reform UK 14% (-1)
Liberal Democrat 12% (+3)
Green 6% (–)
Scottish National Party 3% (–)
Other 1% (–)

When those who say they do not know how they would vote in a General Election are included, the Labour Party leads by 19%. After weighting by likelihood to vote, 13% of the sample say they do not know how they would vote, including 12% of those who voted Conservative in December 2019 and 2% of those who voted Labour. 

Altogether, 79% of those who voted Labour in the last General Election say they would vote Labour again.

Only 42% of those who voted Conservative in 2019 say they would vote Conservative againthe joint-lowest percentage we’ve recorded since Rishi Sunak became Prime Minister, and just five points higher than the lowest percentage (37%) we’ve ever recorded (16 October 2022).

20% of 2019 Conservative voters now say they would vote for Reform UK, 19% would vote for Labour, and 6% would vote for other parties.

56% of respondents believe a Labour Party government will be the result of the next General Election. 23%, meanwhile, believe there will be a Conservative Party government.

The Government’s net competency rating stands at -34% (+2) this week. Altogether, 18% (+2) find the Government competent, while 52% (–) find the Government incompetent.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak receives a net approval rating of -24%, unchanged from last week’s poll. This week’s poll finds 25% approving of his overall job performance (+1) against 49% (+1) disapproving.

Labour leader Keir Starmer’s net approval rating stands at +8%, up two points from last week. 36% approve of Starmer’s job performance (+1), while 28% disapprove (-1).

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt’s net approval rating stands at -9%, up two points from our previous poll. Overall, 32% disapprove of Hunt’s performance as Chancellor (-1) and 23% approve (+1).

And finally, Keir Starmer (41%, -1) leads Rishi Sunak (28%, -1) by 13 points on who would be the better Prime Minister at this moment.

To find out more information about this research contact our research team. Redfield & Wilton Strategies is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. Follow us on Twitter

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research