Latest GB Voting Intention (19 May 2024)

May 20, 2024
R&WS Research Team
Approval Rating | Conservative Party | GB Politics | Keir Starmer | Labour Party | Rishi Sunak | UK Elections | Voting Intention

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research

Redfield & Wilton Strategies’ latest national Westminster voting intention poll finds the Labour Party leading by 22%, one point up from our previous poll released on Monday last week

This is our tenth consecutive poll in which Labour’s lead over the Conservatives has stood at 20% or more.

Altogether, the full numbers (with changes from 12 May in parenthesis) are as follows:

Labour 45% (+3)
Conservative 23% (+2)
Reform UK 12% (-3)
Liberal Democrat 10% (-2)
Green 5% (-1)
Scottish National Party 2% (-1)
Other 1% (–)

When those who say they do not know how they would vote in a General Election are included, the Labour Party leads by 21%. After weighting by likelihood to vote, 8% of the sample say they do not know how they would vote, including 8% of those who voted Conservative in December 2019 and 2% of those who voted Labour. 

Altogether, 87% of those who voted Labour in the last General Election say they would vote Labour again.

48% of those who voted Conservative in 2019 say they would vote Conservative again. 19% of 2019 Conservative voters now say they would vote for Labour, 18% would vote for Reform UK, and 8% would vote for other parties.

60% of respondents believe a Labour Party government will be the result of the next General Election. 23%, meanwhile, believe there will be a Conservative Party government.

The Government’s net competency rating stands at -30% (+5) this week. Altogether, 19% (+4) find the Government competent, while 49% (-1) find the Government incompetent.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak receives a net approval rating of -16%, up seven points from last week’s poll. This week’s poll finds 29% approving of his overall job performance (+3) against 45% (-4) disapproving.

Labour leader Keir Starmer’s net approval rating stands at +14%, up nine points from last week. 41% approve of Starmer’s job performance (+6), while 27% disapprove (-3).

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt’s net approval rating stands at -4%, up five points from our previous poll. Overall, 31% disapprove of Hunt’s performance as Chancellor (-1) and 27% approve (+4).

And finally, Keir Starmer (44%, +4) leads Rishi Sunak (30%, +2) by 14 points on who would be the better Prime Minister at this moment.

To find out more information about this research contact our research team. Redfield & Wilton Strategies is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. Follow us on Twitter

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research