Latest GB Voting Intention (19 March 2023)

March 20, 2023
R&WS Research Team
Approval Rating | Conservative Party | GB Politics | Keir Starmer | Labour Party | Rishi Sunak | UK Elections | Voting Intention

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research

Redfield & Wilton Strategies’ latest voting intention poll in Great Britain finds the Labour Party leading by 21%, unchanged from our previous poll released on Monday last week. Altogether, the full numbers (with the changes from 12 March in parentheses) are as follows:

Labour 47% (-1)
Conservative 26% (-1)
Liberal Democrat 11% (–)
Green 6% (+1)
Reform UK 5% (-1)
Scottish National Party 4% (+1)
Other 2% (+1)

When those who say they do not know how they would vote in a General Election are included, the Labour Party leads by 19%. After weighting by likelihood to vote, 13% of the sample say they do not know how they would vote, including 15% of those who voted Conservative in December 2019 and 5% of those who voted Labour. 

Altogether, 85% of those who voted Labour in the last General Election say they would vote Labour again, while 57% of those who voted Conservative in 2019 say they would vote Conservative again.

60% of British voters cite the economy as one of the three most important issues that would determine how they would vote in a General Election, ahead of healthcare (58%). Respondents also select immigration (29%), education (24%), the environment (19%), and taxation (18%).

A plurality (37%) of respondents believe a Labour Party majority would be the most likely outcome if a General Election were held in the next six months. A further 10% expect a Labour-led minority Government. 17% expect a Conservative Party majority, while another 12% expect a Conservative-led minority Government. 

The Government’s net competency rating stands at -26% this week, unchanged from last Sunday. Altogether, 21% find the Government competent (–), and 47% find the Government incompetent (–).

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak receives a net approval rating of -11%, unchanged from our poll last Sunday. Yesterday’s poll finds 30% approving of his overall job performance (–) against 41% (–) disapproving. 

Labour leader Keir Starmer’s net approval rating stands at +11%, up two points from last week. 38% approve of Starmer’s job performance (+2), while 27% disapprove (–).

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt’s net approval rating stands at -15%, down two points since last Sunday. Overall, 38% disapprove of Hunt’s performance as Chancellor (+2), and 23% approve (–). 

And finally, Keir Starmer (41%, -1) leads Rishi Sunak (34%, –) by seven points on who would be the better Prime Minister at this moment.

To find out more information about this research contact our research team. Redfield & Wilton Strategies is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. Follow us on Twitter

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research