Latest GB Voting Intention (17 September 2023)

September 18, 2023
R&WS Research Team
Approval Rating | Conservative Party | GB Politics | Keir Starmer | Labour Party | Rishi Sunak | UK Elections | Voting Intention

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research

Redfield & Wilton Strategies’ latest national Westminster voting intention poll in Great Britain finds the Labour Party leading by 18%, two points less than last week. Altogether, the full numbers (with changes from 10 September in parenthesis) are as follows:

Labour 44% (-1)
Conservative 26% (+1)
Liberal Democrat 14% (+2)
Reform UK 6% (–)
Green 6% (–)
Scottish National Party 3% (-1)
Other 1% (–)

When those who say they do not know how they would vote in a General Election are included, the Labour Party leads by 15%. After weighting by likelihood to vote, 12% of the sample say they do not know how they would vote, including 13% of those who voted Conservative in December 2019 and 3% of those who voted Labour. 

Altogether, 86% of those who voted Labour in the last General Election say they would vote Labour again, while 55% of those who voted Conservative in 2019 say they would vote Conservative again.

59% of British voters cite the economy as among the three most important issues that would determine how they would vote in a General Election, ahead of healthcare (57%). Respondents also select immigration (30%), education (28%), the environment (19%), and housing (18%).

35% of respondents believe a Labour Party majority would be the most likely outcome if a General Election were held in the next six months. A further 13% expect a Labour-led minority Government. 16% expect a Conservative Party majority, while another 11% expect a Conservative-led minority Government.

The Government’s net competency rating stands at -31% this week, up eight points from last Sunday. Altogether, 19% find the Government competent (+4), while 50% find the Government incompetent (-4).

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak receives a net approval rating of -21%, unchanged from our poll last Sunday. Yesterday’s poll finds 25% approving of his overall job performance (–) against 46% (–) disapproving.

Labour leader Keir Starmer’s net approval rating stands at +8%, down seven points from his most recent approval rating recorded two weeks ago. 36% approve of Starmer’s job performance (-4), while 28% disapprove (+3).

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt’s net approval rating stands at -13%, up three points from last Sunday. Overall, 35% disapprove of Hunt’s performance as Chancellor (-1), and 22% approve (+2). 

And finally, Keir Starmer (42%, -1) leads Rishi Sunak (31%, +3) by 11 points on who would be the better Prime Minister at this moment.

To find out more information about this research contact our research team. Redfield & Wilton Strategies is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. Follow us on Twitter

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research