Latest GB Voting Intention (17 December 2023)

December 18, 2023
R&WS Research Team
Approval Rating | Conservative Party | GB Politics | Keir Starmer | Labour Party | Rishi Sunak | UK Elections | Voting Intention

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research

Redfield & Wilton Strategies’ final national Westminster voting intention poll of 2023 finds the Labour Party leading by 18%, unchanged from our previous poll released on Monday last week.

By comparison, Labour led by 17% in Great Britain in our final Westminster voting intention poll of 2022.

Altogether, the full numbers (with changes from 10 December in parenthesis) are as follows:

Labour 42% (-1)
Conservative 24% (-1)
Liberal Democrat 11% (-2)
Reform UK 10% (-1)
Green 6% (+1)
Scottish National Party 4% (+2)
Other 2% (+1)

When those who say they do not know how they would vote in a General Election are included, the Labour Party leads by 15%. After weighting by likelihood to vote, 11% of the sample say they do not know how they would vote, including 11% of those who voted Conservative in December 2019 and 5% of those who voted Labour. 

Altogether, 83% of those who voted Labour in the last General Election say they would vote Labour again, while only 50% of those who voted Conservative in 2019 say they would vote Conservative again. 19% of 2019 Conservative voters now say they would vote for Labour if a General Election were held tomorrow, while 14% would vote for Reform UK.

61% of British voters cite the economy as among the three most important issues that would determine how they would vote in a General Election, ahead of healthcare (53%). Respondents also select immigration (37%), education (23%), and housing (20%).

42% of respondents believe a Labour Party majority would be the most likely outcome if a General Election were held in the next six months. A further 14% expect a Labour-led minority Government. 17% expect a Conservative Party majority, while another 8% expect a Conservative-led minority Government. 

The Government’s net competency rating stands at -30% this week, unchanged from last week. Altogether, 20% find the Government competent (–), while 50% find the Government incompetent (–).

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak receives a net approval rating of -19%, down four points from last Sunday. This week’s poll finds 28% approving of his overall job performance (-3) against 47% (+1) disapproving. 

Labour leader Keir Starmer’s net approval rating stands at +4%, down two points from last week, and his lowest net approval rating since 14 May (when it was +2%). 37% approve of Starmer’s job performance (+1), while 33% disapprove (+3).

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt’s net approval rating stands at -9%, up two points from last week. Overall, 34% disapprove of Hunt’s performance as Chancellor (-5) and 25% approve (-3). 

And finally, Keir Starmer (39%, -3) leads Rishi Sunak (32%, +2) by seven points on who would be the better Prime Minister at this moment, Starmer’s narrowest lead over Sunak since 20 August (also 7%).

To find out more information about this research contact our research team. Redfield & Wilton Strategies is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. Follow us on Twitter

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research