Latest GB Voting Intention (15 January 2023)

January 16, 2023
R&WS Research Team
Approval Rating | Conservative Party | GB Politics | Jeremy Hunt | Keir Starmer | Labour Party | Rishi Sunak | UK Elections | Voting Intention

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research

Redfield & Wilton Strategies’ latest voting intention poll in Great Britain finds the Labour Party leading by 20%, two points less than in our most recent poll released on Monday last week. Altogether, the full numbers (with the changes from 8 January in parentheses) are as follows:

Labour 47% (-1)
Conservative 27% (+1)
Liberal Democrat 10% (+1)
Reform UK 6% (–)
Green 5% (–)
Scottish National Party 4% (–)
Other 1% (-1)

When those who say they do not know how they would vote in a General Election are included, the Labour Party leads by 17%. After weighting by likelihood to vote, 15% of the sample say they do not know how they would vote, including 17% of those who voted Conservative in December 2019 and 4% of those who voted Labour. 

Altogether, 88% of those who voted Labour in the last General Election say they would vote Labour again, while 55% of those who voted Conservative in 2019 say they would vote Conservative again.

66% of British voters cite the economy as one of the three most important issues that would determine how they would vote in a General Election, ahead of healthcare (62%). Respondents also select immigration (26%), and education (24%).

A plurality (40%) of respondents believe a Labour Party majority would be the most likely outcome if a General Election were held in the next six months. A further 10% expect a Labour-led minority Government. Just 16% expect a Conservative Party majority, while another 11% expect a Conservative-led minority Government. 

The Government’s net competency rating stands at -31% this week, up one point from last Sunday. Altogether, 17% find the Government competent (–), and 48% find the Government incompetent (-1).

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak receives a net approval rating of -10%, up one point from our poll last Sunday. Yesterday’s poll finds 28% approving of his overall job performance (–) against 38% (-1) disapproving. 

Labour leader Keir Starmer’s net approval rating stands at +6%, unchanged from last week. 35% approve of Starmer’s job performance (+1), while 29% disapprove (+1).

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt’s net approval rating stands at -11%, up two points since last Sunday. Overall, 34% disapprove of Hunt’s performance as Chancellor (-2), and 23% approve (–). 

And finally, Keir Starmer (37%, -1) and Rishi Sunak (37%, –) are tied on who would be the better Prime Minister at this moment.

To find out more information about this research contact our research team. Redfield & Wilton Strategies is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. Follow us on Twitter

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research