Latest GB Voting Intention (12 May 2024)

May 13, 2024
R&WS Research Team
Approval Rating | Conservative Party | GB Politics | Keir Starmer | Labour Party | Rishi Sunak | UK Elections | Voting Intention

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research

Redfield & Wilton Strategies’ latest national Westminster voting intention poll finds the Labour Party leading by 21%, two points down from our previous poll released on Monday last week

Altogether, the full numbers (with changes from 5 May in parenthesis) are as follows:

Labour 42% (-2)
Conservative 21% (–)
Reform UK 15% (–)
Liberal Democrat 12% (+3)
Green 6% (+1)
Scottish National Party 3% (–)
Other 1% (–)

When those who say they do not know how they would vote in a General Election are included, the Labour Party leads by 20%. After weighting by likelihood to vote, 11% of the sample say they do not know how they would vote, including 10% of those who voted Conservative in December 2019 and 3% of those who voted Labour. 

Altogether, 82% of those who voted Labour in the last General Election say they would vote Labour again.

Only 43% of those who voted Conservative in 2019 say they would vote Conservative again, just one point above the lowest percentage we’ve recorded since Rishi Sunak became Prime Minister. 23% of 2019 Conservative voters now say they would vote for Reform UK, 17% would vote for Labour, and 7% would vote for other parties.

58% of respondents believe a Labour Party government will be the result of the next General Election. 23%, meanwhile, believe there will be a Conservative Party government.

The Government’s net competency rating stands at -35% (+4) this week. Altogether, 15% (-1) find the Government competent—the lowest percentage to say they find the Government competent since 10 September 2023 (also 15%)—while 50% (-5) find the Government incompetent.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak receives a net approval rating of -23%, unchanged from last week’s poll. This week’s poll finds 26% approving of his overall job performance (-2) against 49% (-2) disapproving.

Labour leader Keir Starmer’s net approval rating stands at +5%, down four points from last week. 35% approve of Starmer’s job performance (-4), while 30% disapprove (–).

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt’s net approval rating stands at -9%, up four points from our previous poll. Overall, 32% disapprove of Hunt’s performance as Chancellor (-4) and 23% approve (–).

And finally, Keir Starmer (40%, -3) leads Rishi Sunak (28%, -1) by 12 points on who would be the better Prime Minister at this moment.

To find out more information about this research contact our research team. Redfield & Wilton Strategies is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. Follow us on Twitter

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research