Latest GB Voting Intention (12 March 2023)

March 13, 2023
R&WS Research Team
Approval Rating | Conservative Party | GB Politics | Keir Starmer | Labour Party | Rishi Sunak | UK Elections | Voting Intention

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research

Redfield & Wilton Strategies’ latest voting intention poll in Great Britain finds the Labour Party leading by 21%, five points less than in our previous poll released on Monday last week. Altogether, the full numbers (with the changes from 5 March in parentheses) are as follows:

Labour 48% (-2)
Conservative 27% (+3)
Liberal Democrat 11% (+2)
Reform UK 6% (-1)
Green 5% (–)
Scottish National Party 3% (–)
Other 1% (–)

When those who say they do not know how they would vote in a General Election are included, the Labour Party leads by 19%. After weighting by likelihood to vote, 13% of the sample say they do not know how they would vote, including 13% of those who voted Conservative in December 2019 and 4% of those who voted Labour. 

Altogether, 89% of those who voted Labour in the last General Election say they would vote Labour again, while 55% of those who voted Conservative in 2019 say they would vote Conservative again.

64% of British voters cite the economy as one of the three most important issues that would determine how they would vote in a General Election, ahead of healthcare (58%). Respondents also select immigration (31%), education (22%), housing (20%), and taxation (20%).

A plurality (40%) of respondents believe a Labour Party majority would be the most likely outcome if a General Election were held in the next six months. A further 10% expect a Labour-led minority Government. 16% expect a Conservative Party majority, while another 11% expect a Conservative-led minority Government. 

The Government’s net competency rating stands at -26% this week, up one point from last Saturday. Altogether, 21% find the Government competent (+1), and 47% find the Government incompetent (–).

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak receives a net approval rating of -11%, down two points from our poll last Sunday. Yesterday’s poll finds 30% approving of his overall job performance (–) against 41% (+2) disapproving. 

Labour leader Keir Starmer’s net approval rating stands at +9%, unchanged from last week. 36% approve of Starmer’s job performance (-1), while 27% disapprove (-1).

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt’s net approval rating stands at -13%, down three points since last Sunday. Overall, 36% disapprove of Hunt’s performance as Chancellor (+4), and 23% approve (+1). 

And finally, Keir Starmer (42%, +1) leads Rishi Sunak (34%, -1) by eight points on who would be the better Prime Minister at this moment.

To find out more information about this research contact our research team. Redfield & Wilton Strategies is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. Follow us on Twitter

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research