Latest GB Voting Intention (1 October 2023)

October 2, 2023
R&WS Research Team
Approval Rating | Conservative Party | GB Politics | Keir Starmer | Labour Party | Rishi Sunak | UK Elections | Voting Intention

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research

Redfield & Wilton Strategies’ latest national Westminster voting intention poll in Great Britain finds the Labour Party leading by 14%, one point less than in our previous poll released on Monday last week, and the narrowest lead Labour has held nationally since 11 June (when it was also 14%). Altogether, the full numbers (with changes from 24 September in parenthesis) are as follows:

Labour 43% (–)
Conservative 29% (+1)
Liberal Democrat 12% (-1)
Reform UK 7% (-1)
Green 4% (-1)
Scottish National Party 3% (+1)
Other 1% (–)

When those who say they do not know how they would vote in a General Election are included, the Labour Party leads by 13%. After weighting by likelihood to vote, 11% of the sample say they do not know how they would vote, including 12% of those who voted Conservative in December 2019 and 3% of those who voted Labour. 

Altogether, 87% of those who voted Labour in the last General Election say they would vote Labour again, while 59% of those who voted Conservative in 2019 say they would vote Conservative again.

59% of British voters cite the economy as among the three most important issues that would determine how they would vote in a General Election, ahead of healthcare (57%). Respondents also select immigration (32%), education (21%), and housing (21%).

36% of respondents believe a Labour Party majority would be the most likely outcome if a General Election were held in the next six months. A further 12% expect a Labour-led minority Government. 17% expect a Conservative Party majority, while another 12% expect a Conservative-led minority Government. 

The Government’s net competency rating stands at -30% this week, down eleven points from last Sunday. Altogether, 19% find the Government competent (-7), while 49% find the Government incompetent (+4).

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak receives a net approval rating of -10%, up four points from our poll last Sunday. This week’s poll finds 31% approving of his overall job performance (-1) against 41% (-5) disapproving. 

Labour leader Keir Starmer’s net approval rating stands at +7%, down two points from last week. 37% approve of Starmer’s job performance (-3), while 30% disapprove (-1).

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt’s net approval rating stands at -9%, unchanged from last Sunday. Overall, 33% disapprove of Hunt’s performance as Chancellor (-4), and 24% approve (-4). 

And finally, Keir Starmer (41%, -2) leads Rishi Sunak (32%, -2) by nine points on who would be the better Prime Minister at this moment.

To find out more information about this research contact our research team. Redfield & Wilton Strategies is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. Follow us on Twitter

Share this research:

Our Most Recent Research